Software Defined Technologies Group (SDTG)
Share this story:
This group consists of two tracks: software defined radio, and software defined networking.
Software Defined Radio (SDR) Research:
Traditionally, a radio system such as a portable FM radio had its components implemented entirely in hardware, as in the amplifiers, filters, mixers and other electronic components on a circuit board. This is because a radio system was built for a specific purpose and frequency range. But this tradition is now changing. With high-speed analogue to digital converter (ADC) chips now available at a fraction of what they used to cost, together with very fast digital signal processors and lots of cheap memory, radio systems no longer need to be designed using a specialized set of analogue hardware. Software Defined Radio (or SDR) is a new approach to developing radio and radar systems, and it involves implementing most of the radio system in software. The SDR approach has tremendous potential for cutting development costs, not only by reusing both hardware platforms and software code, but also by saving much time when prototyping new products and experimental systems. SDR is a fast-growing field and increasingly, many new uses for this technology are being found.
Software Defined Networking (SDN) Research:
The design philosophy of software defined networking is to decouple the intelligent behavior (control plane) from resources (routers, switches, firewalls, IPS, IDS, etc.,) and delegate it to a centralized computing resource (controller), where the controller controls and instructs the forwarding plane of those resources. The decoupling of control plane from the hardware supports independent evolution and modularity. The centralized software defined controller is responsible for managing and maintaining the overall infrastructure. We aim to integrate the concept of software defined technology in different computing domains: internet of things, wireless sensor networks, software defined network, software defined storage, and cloud computing. Following are some important projects fall into the scope of this SDTG:
Research Areas in SDR
- U/VHF,HF SDR Waveform Designs to include transforming PHY Layer functionality in software
- Research and Implementation of Communication techniques like CDMA, OFDM in SDR
- SDR Architectures and development tools
- RF Front End Design for SDR
- Study on the effects of ionosphere on HF Communications
- Wireless Channel Modeling for SDR
- Multi-Input Multi-Output (MIMO) SDR
- Channel coding, source coding, modulation and multiplexing techniques for SDR
- Cognitive Communication based SDR
- MAC Layer design for SDR
- MANETS enabled SDR
- Synchronization techniques for SDR
- End to End encryption in SDR
Research Areas in SDN
- Controllers’ placement
- Mitigating single point of failure in SD environment
- Software technology role in a modern data center
- Control plane and data plane challenges
- Scalability and reliability issues in SD environment
- Multi-controller’s issues (synchronization, communication overhead, failure, performance)
- Area wise controller issues
- Latency among different entities in a SD environment
- Policy based optimization and resource allocation
- Integration in Heterogeneous network
- SDN in IoT
- Software defined wireless sensor network
- SDN in home network
- SDN and 5G
- SDN and malware analysis
- SD concepts in End to End encryption (how to do smart feature in the presence of encrypted traffic)
- Software defined Exchange
You own idea, project, proposal
1. Group Members
|Sr. #||Name||Specialisation||Contact Details|
|1.||Dr. Adnan Ahmed Khan(Group Head)||Wireless Communication Systememail@example.com|
|2.||Dr. Imran Rashid||Wireless Communication Systemfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|3.||Dr. Sajid Bashir||Wireless Communication Systememail@example.com|
|4.||Dr. Amer Gillani||Satellite Communicationfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|5.||Tauqeer Ahmed||Telecommunication Engineeringemail@example.com|
|6.||Dr. Muhammad Imran||Control firstname.lastname@example.org|
|7.||Dr. Abdul Waheed||Wireless Sensor Networksemail@example.com|
|8.||Dr. Yawar Abbas Bangash||Software defined networking, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sr. #||Name||Qualification||Specialisation||Contact Details|
|1.||Dr. Yawar Abbas Bangash(Group Head)||PhD||Software-defined networking, email@example.com|
|2.||Dr. Hammad Afzal||PhD||Machine learning & Data Miningfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|3.||Dr. Ayesha Maqbool||PhD||System Engineeringemail@example.com|
|4.||Assistant Professor Bilal Rauf||PhD (In progress)||Software defined firstname.lastname@example.org|
|5.||Dr. Tauseef Ahmed Rana||PhD||Software Engineeringemail@example.com|
|6.||Dr. Naima Iltaf||PhD||Recommender Systemsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|7.||Dr. Abdul Waheed||PhD||WSNemail@example.com|
|8.||Dr. Saddaf Rubab||PhD||Distributed firstname.lastname@example.org|
|9.||Dr. Malik M Zaki Murtaza Khan||PhD||WSN, Parallel computing, AIemail@example.com|
|Sr. # ||Name||Student||Specialization||Contact Details|
|1.||M. Atif Cheema||PhD||Wireless Communication||Mac30115@gmail.com|
|2.||Muhammad Haroon Siddiqui||MS||Telecommfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|4.||M. Mateen Hassan||PhD||RF Front Endemail@example.com|
|5.||M. Fawad Khan||MS||Telecomfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|6.||Usman Qureshi||PhD||Software and Securityemail@example.com|
|Sr. # ||Name||Student||Specialization|
|1.||Hira Zahid||MS EE||Software Defined Networking|
|2.||Hassan Isar||MS EE||Software Defined Networking|
2. Research Projects
|Sr. #||Project Title||Names of Supervisor||Status|
|1.||SDS and Big-Data Survey||Dr. Yawar Abbas||In Progress|
|2.||Incast mitigation in Data Centre storage network||Dr. Yawar Abbas||In Progress|
- Khan “Efficient Signal Processing Techniques in Advanced Wireless Systems” by LAMBERT Academic Publishing Germany, ISBN: 978-3-8383-7402-4, 2010 International Journals
- Adnan A. Khan “Swarm Intelligence Based MIMO Detection Techniques in Wireless Systems” IET Book: Swarm Intelligence – From Concepts to Applications (PBCE110) (Print: 978-1-78561-313-5, eBook: 978-1-78561-314-2) (IET, UK)
- Adnan Ahmed Khan, “Filtering Dishonest Trust Recommendations in Trust Management Systems in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks”, International Journal of Communication Networks and Information Security (IJCNIS), vol.8, no. 1, pp. 18-30, April 2016 (HEC Category X)
- Adnan Ahmed Khan “Capacity Dimensioning of HSDPA Urban Network ” Intl Journal of Communication Networks and Info Sec (IJCNIS), Vol. 6, No. 2. Kohat University of Science and Tech (KUST), Aug 2014.
- M. Ahsan Ali, Imran Rashid and Adnan A Khan, “Selection of VoIP CODECs for Different Networks based on QoS Analysis”, International Journal of Computer Applications 84(5):38-44, December 2013. Published by Foundation of Computer Science, New York, USA
- Adnan A. Khan, “Selection of VoIP CODECs for Different Networks based on QoS Analysis,” International Journal of Computer Applications 84(5):38-44. Published by Foundation of Computer Science. New York, USA, Dec 2013.
- Rehan Khaild, Adnan A Khan, “Performance Evaluation of Adaptively Modulated MIMO-OFDM System with Low Rate Channel Feedback Techniques”, The Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Engineering (JARCE): Volume 5, Number 1, January-June 2012, pp. 49-54, Global Research Publications–ISSN: 0974-4320.
- Hijab Zahra, Adnan A. Khan, “Performance Comparison of Adaptive Power Control in UMTS for Indoor Propagation” International Journal of Future Generation Communication and Networking, 2012.
- M. Tabish and A. Khan, “Passive source Localization in a Randomly Distributed Wireless Sensor Networks” International Journal of Computer applications. 2011. ISSN: 0975 – 8887
- Shafi and A. Khan “Validity guided fuzzy clustering evaluation for neural network based time-frequency reassignment” EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing. 2010 ISSN 1110-8657 Impact Factor 0.928
- Rehan Khaild, Adnan A Khan, “Analysis of Codebook Based Channel Feedback Techniques for MIMO-OFDM Systems”, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 2011, ISSN: 2010-376X.
- Shafi and A. Khan “High resolution time-frequency methods’ performance analysis” EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing. 2010 : Impact Factor 0.928
- S. Bashir, A. Khan, M. Naeem and S. I. Shah, “An Application of Univariate Marginal Distribution Algorithm in MIMO Communication Systems,” International Journal of Communications System, Vol 23, Issue 1, John Wiley Sons, 2009. Impact Factor: 1.099
- Khan, and S. I. Shah, “Meta-heuristics for Symbol Detection in a Spatial Multiplexing system,” NUST Journal of Engineering and Sciences. 2009.
- Khan, S. I. Shah and Xiaodong Li, “Symbol Detection in Spatial Multiplexing System using Particle Swarm Optimization Meta-heuristics,” International Journal of Communications System, vol 21, issue 12, John Wiley Sons, 2008. Impact Factor: 1.099 ISSN: 1099-1131
- Khan, S. Bashir, S. I. Shah and A. U. Sheikh, “Binary Ant Colony Algorithm for Symbol Detection in a Spatial Multiplexing System,” LNCS 4618, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 115-126, 2007. (http://www.springerlink.com/content/5730u45822761r44/)
- K. Khursheed and A. Khan, “Application of Heuristic (i-Opt Local Search) and Metaheuristic (Ant Colony Optimization) Algorithm for Symbol Detection in MIMO Systems” accepted for publication in Journal of Communications and Networks, Scientific Research Publishing ISSN 1947-3826.
- Adnan A. Khan, “Multi Factors Trust for Secure and Reliable Routing in MANETs” International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing, ISSN 1743-8233. (JCR IF .55) International Conference Proceedings
- Yawar Bangash, Qamar ud Din Abid, Alshreef Abed Ali A, Yahya E. A. Al-Salhi, “Security Issues and Challenges in Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey,” International Journal of Computer Science, 2017 IAENG publications. (Scopus indexed)
- Yawar Bangash, Lingfang Zeng and Dan Feng, ”MimiBS: Mimicking Base-Station to provide location privacy protection in wireless sensor networks,” Journal of Computer Science And technology, 2017, JCST, IF=0.956
- Adnan A. Khan, “Performance Analysis of Wavelet Based Blind Detection and Hop Time Estimation Algorithm for Frequency Hopping Signals in HF Band”, PIMRC’16 (Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communication), submitted
- Adnan A. Khan, “Issues with Trust Management and Trust Based Secure Routing in MANET”, The International Bhurban Conference on Applied Sciences & Technology, 12th – 16th Jan 2016.
- Adnan A. Khan, M. Ali Imran, “Performance Analysis of a Novel High Impedance Surface for Microstrip-Line Small Patch Antenna for Mobile Applications”, The 6th International Conference on Emerging Ubiquitous Systems and Pervasive Networks (EUSPN 2015), Elsevier, 15 Sep 2015.
- Adnan A Khan, Babar, “Implementation of Acquisition of BeiDou-2 B1I Signal using FFT based Scheme”, ISNET/SUPARCO Workshop on Student Satellites, 02-06 November 2015; Lahore, Pakistan
- Adnan A. Khan, M. Ali Imran “Multiuser Detection of Co-Channel Systems Using Combination of Basic Network Coding and HARQ”, IEEE Vehicle Technology Conference (IEEE VTC 2015), May 2015.
- S. Ashraf and Adnan A. Khan, “Interfacing and processing of live E1 Stream using FPGA”, 12th International Bhurban Conference on Applied Sciences & Technology 13th – 17th January, 2015.
- Amna Qayyum, Adnan A Khan, “Enhanced Multi User Detection Technique of Overloaded MIMO Systems Using Network Coding Based HARQ” 8th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems 15 – 17 December 2014, Gold Coast, Australia.
- Waqas, Adnan A Khan, Christian Schneider, “Adaptive Antenna Grouping For Capacity Maximization In Correlated MIMO Channels”, 2014 IEEE International Conference on Communication, Networks and Satellite, Jakarta, 4-6 November 2014.
- Adnan Ahmed Khan, “Detection of Dishonest Trust Recommendations in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks” The Fifth International Conference on Computing, Communications and Networking Technologies (ICCCNT) Hefei, Anhui, China July 11-13, 2014.
- N Akbar, Adnan A. Khan, “Performance Analysis of Energy Detection Spectrum Sensing using MIMO-OFDM VBLAST Test Bed”, 6th Joint IFIP Wireless and Mobile Networking Conference (WMNC’2013), UAE (Dubai) – 23-25 April 2013.
- I Khalil, Adnan A. Khan, “Turbo-Coded HARQ Scheme in Multi-hop Cooperative Wireless Networks”, 6th Joint IFIP Wireless and Mobile Networking Conference (WMNC’2013), UAE (Dubai) – 23-25 April 2013.
- Mehak, Adnan A. Khan, “Bit Loading for Mobile WiMAX Physical Layer” ICTC 2012.
- Adeel, Adnan A. Khan, “4G Evolution and Multiplexing Techniques with solution to implementation challenges”, International Conference on Cyber-Enabled Distributed Computing and Knowledge Discovery (CyberC 2012), Sanya, China, Oct. 10-12, 2012.
- Rehan Khaild, Farhan Hanif, Adnan A Khan, “Performance Evaluation of Adaptively Modulated MIMO-OFDM Systems with Low Rate Channel Feedback Techniques” in Wireless Telecommunications Symposium (WTS) 2012, London.
- Zohaib-Ur-Rehman, Adnan A Khan, Ibrahim Khalil, “Comparative Study of Self-Encoded Spread Spectrum and PN Coded Spread Spectrum in Cooperative Communication”, 2011.
- Ibrahim Khalil, Adnan A Khan, Zohaib-ur-Rehman, “Turbo-coded HARQ with switchable relaying mechanism in single hop Cooperative wireless system”, in Frontiers of Information Technology (FIT 2011) to be held in Islamabad, Pakistan on December 19-21, 2011
- Sumreen Umer and A. Khan, “Optimal Relay Station Placement in Cooperative Networks using Particle Swarm”, in Proc. 13th annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO), ACM, New York, USA, ISBN 978-104503-0690-4. 2011.
- Rehan Khaild, Farhan Hanif, Adnan A Khan, “Analysis of Codebook Based Channel Feedback Techniques for MIMO-OFDM Systems”, in International Conference on Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing (ICWCMC’11) to be held in Bangkok, Thailand on December 25-26, 2011
- Hassaan Ajaz, Adnan A. Khan, “Time Analysis of Cooperative MIMO using an SDR Platform” in WOCC 2011-Wireless Communications and Networks Symposium, 2011.
- M. Farooq, S. A. Khan, and A. A. Khan, “Hostname Addressing in Heterogeneous Mobile Ad hoc Networks”, 3rd IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology, (ICCSIT 2010) China.
- Khan, K. Kursheed and S. Irteza, “Analysis of Ant Colony Optimization in MIMO Detection” IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computing (CEC-2010). 2010.
- Khan, S. Irteza, K. Riaz, and S. I, Shah “Efficient Detection of Space Time Block Codes in Time-Selective Channels via Sphere Decoder”, 5th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies 2009 (ICET 2009).
- Khan, S. Irteza and S. I. Shah, “Improved ZF-ML Decoder for Space-Time Block Codes over Time Selective Channels”, IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics and Applications, 2009, Malaysia.
- Khan, S. Irteza and S. I. Shah, “Analysis of Detection Schemes in MIMO Spatially Correlated Channels”, IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics and Applications, 2009, Malaysia.
- Khan and S. I. Shah, “Simplified Maximum Likelihood Detection for Hi Orthogonal Space-Time Block Coded System”, 2nd IEEE International Conference on Computers, Controls and Communications, Feb 2009.
- A. Khan, K. T. Tasneem, S. Bashir and S. I. Shah, “Low Complexity Near Optimal MIMO Decoding Based On Nature Inspired Techniques”, 5th International Workshop on Frontiers of Information Technology, Islamabad, December 2007.
- K. T. Tasneem, A. A. Khan, S. Bashir, S. I. Shah, “Spatial Multiplexing System using Orthogonal Data Streams”, In Proc. of 3rd IEEE ICET, Islamabad, pp. 17-21, November 2007.
- Khan, S. Bashir, S. I. Shah and A. U. Sheikh, ” Binary Ant Colony Algorithm for Symbol Detection in a Spatial Multiplexing System,“ in Proc. 6th International Conference on Unconventional Computation (UC 2007), Canada, pp. 115-126, August 2007.
- Khan, M. Naeem, and S. I. Shah, “A Particle Swarm Algorithm for Symbols Detection in Wideband Spatial Multiplexing Systems”, in Proc. Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO), UK, London, pp. 63-70, 9-11 July 2007.
- Khan, S. Bashir, M. Naeem, S. I. Shah, “An application of GA for Symbol detection in MIMO Communication Systems”, Third International Conference on Natural Computation, Vol-2 ICNC ‘07
- A. Khan, S. Bashir, M. Naeem and S. I. Shah, “Heuristics assisted detection in High speed Wireless Communication Systems”, in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. (INMIC’06), Islamabad, Pakistan, pp. 1-5, December 2006.
- Khan, S. Bashir, and S. I. Shah, “An Analysis of the effects of Multiple Access Interference in DS-CDMA Reverse Link,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conference on Emerging Technologies (ICET 2005), Islamabad Pakistan, pp. 182-187, September 2005.
- Yawar Bangash, Lingfang Zeng and Dan Feng, “MimiBS: Mimicking Base-Station to provide location privacy protection in wireless sensor networks,” Networking, Architecture and Storage (NAS), 2015 IEEE International Conference on, Boston, MA, 2015, pp.158-166. doi: 10.1109/NAS.2015.7255210
- Yawar Bangash, Lingfang Zeng, Shijun Deng and Dan Feng, “Lpsdn: Sink-Node Location Privacy in WSNs via SDN Approach”, 2016 IEEE International Conference on Networking, Architecture and Storage (NAS), Long Beach, CA, 2016, pp. 1-10. doi: 10.1109/NAS.2016.7549407 (best nominee award)
- Adnan Ahmed Khan, PhD
- Assistant Professor Dr. Yawar Abbas Bangash
Department of Computer Software Engineering
Military College of Signals